Milestones

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
March, 1912

A "Fireman's Ball" was held to finance the Danville Farm Fire Defense District. The net proceeds of $100.00 raised at the event were deposited into the first bank account.

April, 1922
The Danville Fire Protection District (DFPD) purchased its first fire truck for $4,140. The new truck was a Reo-American La France, which replaced a trailer-equipped with ten 10-gallon milk cans full of water. The volunteer who got to the trailer first hitched it to their vehicle and pulled it to the fire. Gunnysacks were soaked in the water and then used to beat out the fire.

July, 1925
The DFPD purchased the site of the first firehouse at 150 N. Hartz Avenue, Danville for $600. The firehouse was completed and accepted on December 2, 1925.

1928
A donated Dodge truck was converted into fire truck #2.

October, 1936
The DFPD volunteers began receiving 50 cents to answer a call and 50 cents per hour thereafter.

1941
A two-way radio was installed between the firehouse and the County Sheriff, linking Danville with the rest of Contra Costa County.

May, 1942
At the height of the war years, government defense funds were provided to have a man sleep in the firehouse.

October, 1942
The DFPD entered the County Mutual Aid plan.

January, 1958
A second firehouse was completed and located in Alamo.

January, 1966
The DFPD established its first training program with the objective of developing new recruits with the ability to properly, safely and efficiently use the tools and equipment normally carried on fire apparatus.

July, 1969
The DFPD purchased land to relocate and construct Station 1 at 800 San Ramon Valley Boulevard in Danville to be renamed Station 31.

February, 1975
The DFPD completely modernized its communications system.

May, 1975
The DFPD received its first ambulance donated through the "Helen Howell Fundraiser."

January, 1977
The DFPD received an improved Class Rate from that of 5, issued in 1962, to a Class 4 rating, which illustrates an adequate level of fire protection facilities is being provided and maintained within the rapidly growing communities protected.

January, 1978
As a result of population growth, emergency medical response service for the DFPD increased 42% over those in 1976.

February, 1984
The San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District (SRVFPD) began staffing its ambulance units with the delivery of paramedic service through a public/private partnership with John Muir Hospital.

July, 1989
Issued $13,100,000 Certificates of Participation for the acquisition and construction of certain land, equipment and capital improvements within the District. The primary projects included the construction of Station 36, Station 38 and the Administrative Office building and the remodeling of Station 31 and Station 33.

April, 1992
Station 36, located in Tassajara Valley was staffed to provide 24-hour protection, formerly a volunteer-staffed station under the former Tassajara Fire Protection District.

May, 1993
Refinanced Certificates of Participation issued in 1989 in an aggregated principal amount of $10,500,000.

February, 1995
A public safety trailer called the "Safe House" was added to the District's fleet, allowing the Fire Prevention Division to teach home fire safety to school age children.

September, 1997
The SRVFPD's Communication Center became accredited for pre-arrival medical instructions and call triaging. The District has consistently maintained this accreditation.

July, 1997
The SRVFPD published its first community newsletter, serving 38,000 households in the area. The newsletter provides timely information on seasonal fire prevention issues.

February, 1999
As a result of a rating review, the Insurance Services Office (ISO) granted the SRVFPD an upgrade from Class 3 to Class 2 in the urban/suburban area. This improved rating tremendously impacts the community the District serves. Commercial buildings can now save from 2.5% to 4.5% on their base fire insurance rates. Nationally, only 5% or fewer agencies hold this prestigious achievement. The District is a Class 5 in the rural areas and a Class 8 in the very remote rural areas.

July, 1999
The Board of Directors designated the Fire Chief as the first Treasurer for the District.

October, 1999
The SRVFPD gained "fiscal management" independence from Contra Costa County for financial reporting services. With the hiring of the District's first Chief Finance Officer in March of 1999, an "in-house" payroll, accounting and cash management system commences, terminating its contractual agreement with Contra Costa County.

July, 2000
The SRVFPD entered into a seven-year contract with Local 3546, a Memorandum of Understanding covering July 1, 2000 through June 30, 2007.

September, 2000
A Chaplaincy program, operating in a non-denominational setting, was instituted with its primary purpose to assist District personnel and their families for life needs. During the year, the program has begun "outreach" assistance into the community.

January, 2001
The District formed an official Honor Guard with the mission to provide honor and respect to firefighters who have fallen in the line of duty serving their community and country and to instill respect for national, state and local flags.

February, 2001
Reclassified two Fire Prevention Inspector positions to Deputy Fire Marshal, reorganizing the internal structure of the Division to better service the customer.

June, 2001
The SRVFPD broke ground for Station 30, located in Dougherty Valley. This turnkey facility, built and equipped by local developers, opened on June 1, 2002.

November, 2001
The District began staffing every first run unit with one Paramedic for every emergency call.

December, 2001
The District prepares its first Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for evaluation and award consideration by the Government Finance Officers Association and the California Society of Municipal Finance Officers Association.

November, 2002
The District holds its first annual Employee Recognition Dinner and Awards Ceremony to acknowledge all the efforts put forth by each and every employee.

June, 2003
The Board of Directors adopts a new "mission" statement as a result of the strategic planning process. Refinanced Certificates of Participation issued 1993 in an aggregated principal amount of $8,910,000.

August, 2003
The District's Rescue Division was awarded the Certification as an Office of Emergency Services (OES) "Medium Rescue Unit." This certification is an important acknowledgement of the District's ongoing effort to provide emergency services during major disaster incidents.

March, 2004
The District instituted the Citizen's Emergency Response Team (CERT) in coordination with the Town of Danville, City of San Ramon, San Ramon Valley Unified School District and Contra Costa County Office of Emergency Services.

July, 2004
The District placed into service a Type 1 Communication Support Unit, the first totally self-contained mobile communications post in Contra Costa County.

March, 2005
The SRVFPD, along with the American Heart Association, Contra Costa County Emergency Medical Service Agency and the San Ramon Regional Medical Center, started the Public Access Defibrillation (PAD) Program. The program places Automatic External Defibrillators (AEDs) in schools, public buildings and businesses.

June, 2006
Issued $9,485,000 Certificates of Participation for the acquisition and construction of certain land, equipment and capital improvements within the District. The primary projects included the relocation and construction of Station 36, two new stations in Alamo (east and west) that will replace the current Station 32 and the construction of an apparatus storage building at Station 31.

June, 2007
The District hired its first full-time Technology Manager, and conducted a complete reassessment of the District's Intergraph Computer-aided Dispatch System. This reconfiguration of the matrix, deployment plan and dispatch workflow was the most significant enhancement to the District's Computer-aided Dispatch System since its installation in 1993. Going live with the new model was the culmination of months of planning, training and implementation, streamlining and improving the reliability of many dispatch operations.

July, 2007
The District staffed an additional two person ambulance to its' emergency response fleet. This ambulance and two person crew are stationed at Station 31.

October, 2007
The Fire Prevention Division prepared and adopted an ordinance for implementation of the new 2007 California Fire Code. This involved many months of review as the new code differed greatly in many ways from the prior code. The resulting draft document was subjected to public hearings and meetings of directly impacted home builders and other stakeholders. After several meetings and in consideration of other laws impacting application of certain provisions the document was presented for adoption by the Fire District Board of Directors in October 2007. The most significant element contained in the ordinance, for this Fire District, was the lowering from 5,000 sq. ft. to 3,600 sq. ft. the threshold for installation of residential sprinkler systems. This requirement became effective July 1, 2008.

December, 2007
Three new Tractor-Drawn Ladder trucks (Tiller-trucks) are placed in service.

February, 2008
The District began construction of the new fire Station 36, an apparatus storage building at Station 31, and design of the new Fire Station 32.

January, 2009

The District purchased land at 2100 Stone Valley Road for the replacement and relocation of Fire Station 32.

February, 2009

The Board of Directors adopted a new five‐year Strategic Plan for the period of 2008‐2013. The District published the first complete Pre‐Incident Aerial Survey manual containing 271 targeted locations. A new public safety trailer called the “Fire Safety House” was added to the District’s fleet, allowing the Fire Prevention Division to teach home fire safety to school age children.

March, 2009

The District published the first complete Company Performance Standards manual for training and incident use.

April, 2009
The District launched its new web content management system and domain (www.firedepartment.org) to provide the information and services that the community needed to efficiently interact with the District online.

June, 2009
The Board of Directors authorized the establishment of a GASB compliant IRS Section 115 Trust through CalPERS dedicated to the purpose of pre‐funding Other Post Employment Benefit obligations. The Trust was established with a $3,500,000 contribution from the General Fund.

August, 2009
The District begins construction of the Station 36 Apparatus Storage Building. The facility will house a wide variety of resources and supplies such as reserve apparatus and equipment, electric EMS carts, food and pharmaceutical caches, as well as other emergency preparedness supplies.

March, 2010
The District placed two new replacement ambulances in service at Fire Station 31 and Fire Station 34 to provide improved emergency medical care and transport to the community.

April, 2010
The District website, FireDepartment.org, was nominated for best government website by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences. Firedepartment.org was among five government sites worldwide to receive a “Webby” nomination. The District announces a first of its kind iPhone application providing a virtual window into the communications center. The application offers real‐time access to emergency activities occurring in the jurisdiction.

August, 2010
After a unanimous vote of approval by the full Commission during a public hearing in Chicago the District became the first agency in Contra Costa County and only the sixth fire department in the State of California to achieve Commission on Fire Accreditation International (CFAI) accreditation.

January, 2011
District deploys revolutionary new mobile phone application that notifies trained bystanders of nearby cardiac arrest events. Soon after, the District announces a new foundation to ambitiously share it with other communities around the globe. The District is designated by Contra Costa County Health Services as a HeartSafe Community.

August, 2011
On August 27, 2011 the District was recognized by the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and U.S. Safety Fire Technologies with the presentation of the Fire Service Global Award for Excellence. This top honor international award recognizes innovation and achievement in managing resources to reduce the loss of life and property from fire and other emergencies.

October, 2011
The District became one of two new Districts of Distinction as named by the California Special Districts Association (CSDA) and the Special Districts Leadership Foundation (SDLF). The “District of Distinction” is one of the most prestigious local government awards in the State of California. This accreditation validates the Fire Districts commitment to good governance and to ethical and sound operating practices. The accreditation criteria included the submission of financial audits, relevant policies and procedures and proof of training completed by each of the District’s Board of Directors and executive management team in ethics, governance, and leadership.

November, 2011
The CPR in Schools Pilot program successfully taught over 250 seventh grade students the lifesaving skill of hands only CPR and proper use of an AED.

March, 2012
The District Celebrates a Century of Service to the San Ramon Valley. District employees, past and present, commemorated this milestone with badges, belt buckles, t‐shirts and an open house event.

December, 2013
The District placed three new replacement ambulances in service at Fire Stations 31, 34 and 39 to provide improved emergency medical care and transport to the community. Issued 2013 Refunding Certificates of Participation (COP’s) in the principal amount $3,227,000 at 1.4%. The debt was issued under a private placement method of sale. The proceeds were used to refinance the remaining 2003 COP’s with interest rates ranging from 3.4% to 4.0%. The District realized savings of approximately $56,000 per year, or $272,000 over the remaining term of the refunded debt.

July, 2014
The Board of Directors adopted several policies to promote the long‐term fiscal stability of the District: creation of a “rainy day” reserve fund (Budget Stabilization Fund) equal to 20% of General Fund expenditures and a Dry Period Funding reserve fund equal to 50% of General Fund revenues to cover operating costs between property tax payments; and establishment of a 12‐year Capital Improvement Program to identify and provide funding for the maintenance and replacement of capital assets.

February, 2015
Issued $12,010,000 principal amount of 2015 Certificates of Participation (COP’s) at an average interest cost of 3.18%. $5 million of the proceeds were set aside for construction of a new fire station to replace existing Station 32, with the remainder of the proceeds being used to refinance the remaining 2006 COP’s with interest rates ranging from 4.0% to 5.0%. The District was able to save approximately $70,000 per year, or $1.1 million over the remaining term of the refunded debt.

February, 2016
The District initiated construction of replacement Station 32 at 2100 Stone Valley Road in Alamo, CA.

June, 2016
The District ushered in a new era for city emergency dispatch with the opening of the San Ramon Police Department and San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District joint 911 call center. The former “fire only” dispatch center received a $1.7 million renovation/equipment upgrade and began operations as the San Ramon Valley 911 Communications Center in June. The project was jointly funded by the City and District, with both agencies sharing the operating costs as well. In addition to greatly enhancing public safety in the area, this joint venture represents a significant long‐term cost savings for the District.

August, 2017
Completed Station 32 in Alamo, CA. This turnkey facility was built by a local contractor and opened in August 2017.

December, 2017
Completed the reorganization of the Fire Prevention Division into the Fire & Life Safety Division with increased emphasis on proactive fire prevention through enhanced plans examination, fire inspection, hazard abatement and emergency preparedness activities.

January, 2018
Entered into a $5,432,000 lease financing transaction to fund the acquisition of replacement apparatus: four (4) Type 1 Fire Engines; four (4) Type 5 (Wildland) Fire Engines; and five (5) Ambulances.