The San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District is an outgrowth of many years of maturation. Its early beginning took place during a meeting on March 19, 1912 of the Danville Improvement Club. This meeting included the leading ladies and men of Danville. At this meeting it was decided that a volunteer fire department needed to be organized. The idea was unanimously approved, and the name Danville Farm Defense Fire District was established. In 1921, a state law permitted the organization of special fire districts and empowered them with the authority to levy a tax for their support. Thus, on September 6, 1921, the Danville Farm Defense Fire District became the Danville Fire Protection District, an independent fire district and a political subdivision of the State of California. The official boundaries were re-designated to encompass the Alamo, Danville, Green Valley and Sycamore grammar school districts - an area of approximately fifty square miles.
In 1963, Contra Costa County reorganized its East County Fire Protection District into the San Ramon Fire Protection District, an independent district. In December 1979, the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) initiated the consolidation of the Danville Fire Protection District and the San Ramon Fire Protection District. On July 1, 1980, with the merger complete, the two Districts were renamed the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District (SRVFPD). The new District served the communities of Alamo, Blackhawk, Danville, Diablo and San Ramon - a 70 square mile area. The organization comprised four fire stations, 27 emergency vehicles and 71 employees. With the reorganization of these two districts the newly formed District became governed by five locally elected directors, independent of the County Board of Supervisors. Some ten years later, the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District and the Tassajara Fire Protection District initiated a merger process. In January 1991, LAFCO completed the annexation of all territories of the Tassajara Fire Protection District and transferred them to the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District, which included Tassajara Valley and the southern boundary of Morgan Territory. Simultaneously, the Tassajara Fire Protection District was dissolved.
In July 1997, the San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District and the City of San Ramon moved forward with an annexation of the Dougherty Regional Fire Authority to the SRVFPD. With this annexation, the District extended its fire service boundary to the Contra Costa/Alameda County line.
The San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District's evolution is notable and its endeavors impressive. Learn more about the district's key milestones and accomplishments since its inception.